Joel Jackson (J.J.) Rucker (1880-1960) founded the Rucker Cotton Seed Company and subsequently built a cotton gin at this location, circa 1930. Farmers entered the rear of the gin with their wagonloads of cotton, where it was weighed, combed, washed, and dried in a large centrifuge under the floor. The seeds were returned to the farmers for the next year’s planting. Although the gin closed in 1950, the seed hopper remains on the property. The building has been home to a number of businesses since, including shops, offices, and a church pew manufacturer.