Local historians and area residents worked for years to convert Hueco Tanks to a park. In 1957, the legislature approved creation of a state park on the site. But the property owners continued to operate it as a tourist destination. They built on and altered the site, until El Paso County finally bought it in 1965. The county managed the park until 1969, when the state took it over.
Hueco Tanks State Park and Historic Site opened to the public in May 1970. Since then, the state has carefully added facilities like trails and campsites. It has also studied and inventoried the pictographs, petroglyphs and other historical features.
Today, we limit access to the park’s 860 acres to protect its resources. Enjoy, but do not disturb historical places. If you find an artifact, leave it in place and let park staff know.
Because of its world-renowned body of rock images, the park is designated as a State Archeological Landmark. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.