White Island State Historic Site
The first lighthouse at the Isles of Shoals was erected on White Island in 1820. It was made out of stone and wood shingles. The White Island Lighthouse Station is one of New England's great historic landmarks. This shining tower protected northeastern mariners from crashing into its rocky shores. It is also New Hampshire's only offshore lighthouse.
The tower was rebuilt in 1859 by the United States government to help fortify the seacoast. This is the tower that remains today on White Island. It is built from bricks and stone and stands 85 feet above mean high water. In 1993, White Island and a couple other islands in the group were transferred to the New Hampshire State Parks system and is now managed by the Bureau of Historic Sites.
Activities and Amenities:
White Island State Historic Site is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media