The original church building, a log cabin, was constructed by Abner Phillips and Joseph Walker. The first organized service took place on December 20, 1834. At the meeting, Solomon Peek and Peter Kuykendall were elected elders. Drucilla Walker and Nancy Phillips, along with two enslaved women, also attended. As new pioneers settled, the congregation grew. After 25 years, a new building was constructed. In 1861, the congregation raised $6.45 for bibles which they sent to Confederate soldiers to spread the Word of God. The rock structure seen today was built in 1940.