Fort Constitution State Historic Site is located on a peninsula on the northeast corner of New Castle Island. It overlooks both the Piscataqua River and the Atlantic Ocean. The grounds provide a casual gathering spot for picnics. In 1791, the State of New Hampshire gave the United States the neck of land on which Fort William and Mary and a lighthouse were situated. The fort was repaired, renamed Fort Constitution and garrisoned with a company of United States artillery. Renovations, which included a wall twice as high as that of the colonial fort and new brick buildings, were completed in 1808. It is the ruins of this fort that are seen today.
Fort Constitution is open daily from 8am to 4pm. Please note that the US Coast Guard Station is responsible for opening/closing the gates at Fort Constitution and open/close times may vary depending on their operations.
This park is unstaffed and open year-round for recreation. Should an emergency arise during your visit, please call 911 for assistance.